Inventor of the nonlinear video editing category, Avid reimagines its flagship Media Composer for a new generation of media makers and resets the bar for excellence
Avid® today announced Media Composer®, its flagship video editing system, has been redesigned and reimagined for today’s—and tomorrow’s—generation of media makers. Unveiled at Connect 2019, the industry’s most powerful gathering of media and entertainment users, the all-new Media Composer 2019 will be in the spotlight starting Monday, April 8 at the NAB Show in Avid’s booth (#SU801).
With Media Composer 2019, aspiring and professional editors, freelancers and journalists will be inspired to work more creatively by taking advantage of a new user experience, a next generation Avid media engine with distributed processing, finishing and delivering capabilities, a customizable role-based user interface for large teams, and so much more.
“After receiving input from hundreds of editors and teams across the media industry, and knowing where the industry is headed, we reimagined Media Composer, the product that created the nonlinear video editing category and remains the gold standard,” said Jeff Rosica, CEO and President at Avid. “Media Composer 2019 is both evolutionary and revolutionary. It maintains what longtime users know and love while giving them more of what they need today—and what they will need tomorrow.”
Media Composer 2019
With Media Composer 2019, an editor can go from first cut to delivery without ever leaving the application. Whether they are a professional editor, freelancer or someone just starting out, Media Composer 2019 inspires creative storytelling.
- New User Experience—makers can work at the speed of creativity with a paneled interface that reduces clutter, reimagined bins to find media faster, and task-based workspaces showing only what the user wants and needs to see.
- Next Generation Avid Media Engine—puts more power at a user’s fingertips with features, such as native OP1A, support for more video and audio streams, Live Timeline and background rendering, and a distributed processing add-on option to shorten turnaround times and speed up post production.
- New Finishing and Delivery Workflows—Now, users can create and deliver higher-quality content with editing, effects, color, audio, and finishing tools without leaving Media Composer. Whether working in 8K, 16K, or HDR, Media Composer’s new built-in 32-bit full float color pipeline can handle it. Additionally, Avid has been working with OTT content providers to help establish future industry standards.
- Customizable Toolset—built for large production teams, the new Media Composer | Enterprise provides administrative control to customize the interface for any role in the organization, whether the user is a craft editor, assistant, logger or journalist. It also offers unparalleled security to lock down content, reducing the chances of unauthorized leaks of sensitive media.
Media Composer | Enterprise 2019
The Media Composer family adds Media Composer | Enterprise for post-production, broadcast, media education and other larger production teams. Media Composer | Enterprise is the industry’s first role-specific video editing and finishing solution. Large production teams now have the ability to customize the interface and tailor workspaces for different job roles, providing end users access only to the tools and functions they need. This capability gives teams better focus so they can complete jobs faster and with fewer mistakes.
Media Composer | Enterprise also integrates with Editorial Management 2019 to deliver collaborative workflow innovation for post production and enables creative teams to stay in sync. Media Composer | Distributed Processing Avid today also announced Media Composer | Distributed Processing, an add-on option that shortens turnaround times and accelerates post production by sharing the media processing load. Tasks that previously took hours can now be done in minutes, strengthening post facilities’ competitive edge while delivering high-quality programming. Media Composer | Distributed Processing also offloads complex processing tasks when working in today’s emerging high resolution and HDR media-rich worlds.
For a full list of Media Composer features and benefits visit, www.avid.com/media-composer.
Avid Technology Joins ACES Logo Program
Avid also announced, in conjunction with the Academy Color Encoding System (ACES) team, that Avid has joined the ACES Logo Program as the first Product Partner in the new Editorial Finishing product category. Avid, creator of the Media Composer® nonlinear editing system, will be working to implement ACES in conformance with logo program specifications for consistency and quality to provide its customers and users with a high quality ACES-color managed video creation workflow. As the global standard for color management, digital image interchange and archiving, all ACES users benefit from the growing family of ACES Logo’d products.
“Avid is thrilled to let our Media Composer users everywhere know that we’re aligned with ACES to deliver an ACES-ready editorial workflow,” said Dave Colantuoni, Vice President of Product Management at Avid. “We’re very proud to promote the ACES specifications as the first partner for the Editorial Finishing category, which fully recognizes the specialized requirements of the editorial community.”
“We’re pleased to welcome Avid to the ACES logo program,” said Andy Maltz, Managing Director of the Academy’s Science and Technology Council. “Avid’s participation not only benefits editors that need their editing systems to accurately manage color, but also the broader ACES end-user community through expanded adoption of ACES standards and best practices.”
As the newest ACES Logo Program Partner, Avid joins other leading providers of media technology including cinema cameras, color correctors, monitors, on-set tools, and animation and compositing software. For more information about ACES and the ACES Logo Program, visit www.oscars.org/ACES.
New Avid NEXIS | Cloudspaces Offers Instant Storage Expansion Securely in the Cloud with Microsoft Azure
Avid has also announced Avid NEXIS® | Cloudspaces, which brings the power of the cloud to Avid NEXIS storage systems. Avid NEXIS | Cloudspaces takes the stress out of media management and storage availability, and gives users instant access to more storage when needed.
“Avid NEXIS | Cloudspaces brings the power of the cloud to Avid NEXIS, giving organizations a cost-effective and more efficient way to extend Avid NEXIS storage to the cloud for reliable backup and media parking,” said Dana Ruzicka, Chief Product Officer and Senior Vice President at Avid. “Working with Microsoft we are offering all Avid NEXIS users a limited-time free offer of 2 terabytes of Microsoft Azure storage that is auto-provisioned for easy setup and as much capacity as you need, when you need it.”
Avid NEXIS | Cloudspaces key features and benefits include:
- Leverage the power of Avid NEXIS – Users can start storing media in the cloud today and benefit from Avid NEXIS’s robust workspace management and user access controls with the flexibility and scale of the cloud.
- Safely back up or park media – Users can sync or park on-premise Avid NEXIS workspaces to Avid NEXIS | Cloudspaces with commonly used media management tools, while optimized media workflows provide organizations with better efficiency and security over risky manual processes.
- Free up Avid NEXIS storage – Instead of resorting to NAS or external drives when budgets are tight, Avid NEXIS | Cloudspaces makes it easy to offload projects and media not currently in production. And, because Avid NEXIS manages cloudspaces alongside workspaces, users can spend less time searching for and wrangling media—giving them more time to create.
- Get super-simple setup – Avid NEXIS | Cloudspaces offers easy activation and auto-provisioning from the Avid NEXIS Management Console, with activation from an Avid Link account, leveraging Avid NEXIS workspace user access controls for end-to-end security.
- Gain better workflow and cost efficiency – Avid NEXIS | Cloudspaces eliminates the time wasted manually shuttling media to and wrangling media from USB drives, so users can keep production moving and easily park projects and media. With a variety of subscription plans available, users can match their storage expense to their business needs.
- Increase scalability, capacity, and reliability with Microsoft Azure – Avid NEXIS | Cloudspaces extends Avid NEXIS storage directly to Microsoft Azure. Now Avid customers can easily benefit from Azure’s hyper-scale storage capacity, global distribution and industry leading storage and networking capabilities.
Avid NEXIS | Cloudspaces will be available in April 2019.
Media Composer 2019 will be available in late spring for all of its models: Media Composer | First, Media Composer, Media Composer | Ultimate and Media Composer | Enterprise.
The Academy Color Encoding System (ACES) is a free, open, device-independent color management and image interchange system that can be applied to almost any current or future workflow. It was developed by hundreds of the industry’s top scientists, engineers and end users, working together under the auspices of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. From image capture through editing, VFX, mastering, public presentation, archiving and future remastering, ACES ensures a consistent color experience that preserves the filmmaker’s creative vision. In addition to the creative benefits, ACES addresses and solves a number of significant production, post-production and archiving problems that have arisen with the increasing variety of digital cameras and formats in use, as well as the surge in the number of productions that rely on worldwide collaboration using shared digital image files.
Avid delivers the most open and efficient media platform, connecting content creation with collaboration, asset protection, distribution, and consumption. Avid’s preeminent customer community uses Avid’s comprehensive tools and workflow solutions to create, distribute and monetize the most watched, loved and listened to media in the world—from prestigious and award-winning feature films to popular television shows, news programs and televised sporting events, and celebrated music recordings and live concerts. With the most flexible deployment and pricing options, Avid’s industry-leading solutions include Media Composer®, Pro Tools®, Avid NEXIS®, MediaCentral®, iNEWS®, AirSpeed®, Sibelius®, Avid VENUE™, FastServe®, Maestro™, and PlayMaker™. For more information about Avid solutions and services, visit www.avid.com, connect with Avid on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, or subscribe to Avid Blogs.