New 3.6 HyperDeck software updates as ProRes support plus new closed caption support for all models of the HyperDeck Shuttle 2 $345 solid-state disk recorder
Blackmagic Design today announced the immediate availability of HyperDeck software update 3.6, a new update to its revolutionary solid state disk (SSD) recorder which adds support for Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) into HyperDeck Shuttle 2, plus new closed caption support for all HyperDeck models. At only US$345, the HyperDeck Shuttle 2 with the new ProRes compression feature significantly reduces the size of uncompressed HD video files while preserving full frame 10-bit 4:2:2 quality, allowing customers to record up to six times longer.
HyperDeck Shuttle 2 can be seen at the Blackmagic Design InterBEE 2012 booth, Hall 7 Booth 7206.
“Adding ProRes 422 (HQ) recording and playback to HyperDeck Shuttle 2 shows our continuing commitment to open systems and gives users the freedom to work in either compressed or uncompressed formats,” said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. “Recording ProRes 422 (HQ) straight to disk now costs less per minute than recording to professional tape, plus it’s the most efficient workflow possible. A 64GB SSD is less than $70 and will record 50 minutes of the highest quality ProRes video. That’s broadcast quality recording for less than $2 a minute.”
ProRes 422 (HQ) offers the highest quality for 4:2:2 with minimal generation loss as well as fast export and is one of the most popular video formats for high end post production and broadcast. HyperDeck Shuttle turns low cost cameras into high end broadcast cameras because it allows video file recording to bypass the camera’s compression by recording from SDI and HDMI directly to either 10-bit uncompressed QuickTime, Avid DNxHD MXF and now Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) formats. SSDs are cheap and fast, and can be plugged into an eSATA dock for instant access to the media files, so are the most flexible recording medium available.
This new update also includes full closed caption support for all HyperDeck models. Closed caption support works in 1080HD video formats and allows closed caption data to be read from the SDI input when recording and saved into .mcc type files, which are compatible with popular closed caption authoring software such as Maccaption. Then when playing back from HyperDeck, this .mcc file is read and closed caption data is embedded into the SDI output. This means customers can simply record and playback with full closed caption as well as using closed caption authoring software to generate the .mcc files for creating closed captioning for programs. With full closed caption support, HyperDeck Shuttle and HyperDeck Studio are the ideal solution for authoring closed captioning, as well as ensuring all closed caption is recorded and played back.
With the addition of the new ProRes recording and playback, as well as full closed caption support, the HyperDeck Shuttle 2 provides customers with a small, affordable and battery powered solution that is the perfect field recorder. For direct camera mounting, HyperDeck Shuttle Mounting plate can be added to provide multiple pre drilled 1/4” and 3/8” mounting holes.
HyperDeck Shuttle 2 Key Features
- Record and play back to Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), Avid DNxHD MOV, Avid DNxHD MXF or 10-bit uncompressed QuickTime formats.
- Uses high speed, off the shelf Solid State Disks (SSDs) available from computer resellers at low cost.
- SSD is removable for editing and changing to blank disks.
- 3 Gb/s SDI input using mini coax SDI connector and HDMI input. Auto selects.
- 3 Gb/s SDI output using mini coax SDI connector and HDMI output.
- Power supply connection also recharges battery.
- USB connection for software updates and settings.
- Machined out of solid block of aluminum for maximum strength and attractive design.
- File compatibility with Media Composer, Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, DaVinci Resolve and more.
- Availability and Price
- HyperDeck Shuttle 2 is shipping now and available from Blackmagic resellers worldwide. HyperDeck software 3.6 with ProRes support is now available free of charge for download from http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support for any customer who has a HyperDeck Shuttle 2.