RetroGrade gives Final Cut Pro X artists the look of 8mm and 16mm film stocks. Red Giant Carousel is a fun, plastic camera look plug-in that captures the classic look of color cross-processing, film fading, and vignettes.
Red Giant today announced two new plug-ins co-produced with CrumplePop: Red Giant RetroGrade and Red Giant Carousel for FCP X. RetroGrade gives Final Cut Pro X artists the look of 8mm and 16mm film stocks. By simply dragging and dropping RetroGrade onto a clip, artists can quickly create the iconic look of Cold War-era home movies. Red Giant Carousel is a fun, plastic camera look plug-in that captures the classic look of color cross-processing, film fading and vignettes.
Recently, Red Giant partnered with CrumplePop to address the challenges of designing tools for the new the FCP X plug-in workflow and architecture, which are inherently different from other host applications, such as After Effects or Final Cut Pro 7.
Red Giant RetroGrade and Carousel are available immediately and are priced at $49.00 each.
“The recent release of Final Cut X really rocked our industry – it was both scary and exciting,” said Aharon Rabinowitz, director of communities for Red Giant. “Because of the lower price point and the ease of use, it opened the door for millions of new editors. It also created new challenges for developers who want to cater to these new editors. Teaming up with CrumplePop allows us to combine the best of what Red Giant and CrumplePop has to offer, and deliver products with incredibly realistic results and an amazing user experience. RetroGrade and Carousel nicely compliment our other FCPX color tools, Magic Bullet Looks and Mojo.”
“We’re ecstatic about the looks we were able to achieve with RetroGrade and Carousel,” added Gabe Cheifetz, co-founder of CrumplePop. “Working with Harry Frank and Aharon Rabinowitz to incorporate these elements, we were able to create a final product with amazing results. It was an excellent collaboration!”
Red Giant RetroGrade for FCP X: What’s Inside
Red Giant RetroGrade lets artists create the color, grain, and damage of old 8mm and 16mm films. To create the look, developers used real analog source material to create the unique film textures in RetroGrade. By creating laser scans of old, commonly used film stocks, the team was able to capture the actual grain patterns, color profiles, and exposure flaws in old Kodak and Fuji film. When applied to a clip in Final Cut Pro X, RetroGrade shows the actual film texture – a look that is impossible to digitally create from scratch. RetroGrade also features:
- 10 Film Stock Emulations: RetroGrade includes 5 types of 8mm film stock and 5 types of 16mm film stock. From the brown, contrasty look of the early 1970’s or the grainy green of 1950’s educational films, RetroGrade makes it a simple process – just drag, drop, and tweak to your liking, all without leaving Final Cut Pro X.
- Drag and Drop: Simply go to the Effects area in FCP X and drag one of the 10 film stocks onto a clip. Newer Mac systems (including the iMac or Mac Mini), can play back clips in real time – no waiting to render.
- Completely Customizable: Nearly every detail in RetroGrade is customizable, from the amount of hair and blotches on the film to the amount of grain, to the style and size of the vignette. Artists can also customize the elements to create hundreds of different looks. With RetroGrade, users can dial in the precise mood of the era they are aiming to capture.
- Works Inside FCP X: RetroGrade was designed from the ground up specifically for FCP X. Because it is an FCP X effect, it can be dropped onto footage and previewed in real time – no need to wait for rendering. RetroGrade for FCP X contains powerful controls that allow you to stylize footage extremely quickly.Watch this video to learn how Red Giant and CrumplePop worked together to make the industry’s most true-to-life 16MM and 8MM film look effect in this video: https://vimeo.com/51918488.
Red Giant Carousel for FCP X
For creative editors who want to harness the emotive power of plastic cameras and 120 film, Carousel creates uniquely striking images that are useful in a wide variety of films. Carousel combines optical imperfections, vignettes, and color grades from a plastic camera to create a sophisticated effect that can be dropped onto any clip. Once applied, Carousel can be easily fine-tuned to create the perfect mix of film fade, light leaks, and color cross-processing. Red Giant Carousel features:
- 10 Vintage Camera Looks: Carousel captures the classic look of color cross-processing, film fading, and vignettes. Authenticity was key in development. Each look was created using film prints from a toy camera and 120 film, with care taken to preserve the color profile and unique flaws in the prints that came back from the lab. Carousel features optically-captured light leaks to complete the unique feel of using a vintage plastic camera.
- Drag and Drop: Simply go to the Effects area in FCP X and drag one of the 10 vintage presets onto your clip. If you have a relatively new Mac (even an iMac or Mac Mini), you can play back your clip in real time – no waiting to render.
- Completely Customizable: Nearly every detail in Carousel is customizable, from the color and flicker of the light leak to the style and size of the vignette. If you like, you can customize the color, light leaks, fading, and vignette to your liking to create hundreds of different looks. With Carousel you can capture the exact look you need for your project.
- Works Inside FCP X: Carousel was designed from the ground up for FCP X. Because it is an FCP X effect, it can be dropped onto your footage and previewed in real time – no need to wait for rendering. Carousel for FCP X contains powerful controls that allow you to stylize your footage extremely quickly.
In addition to the products for FCP X co-produced with CrumplePop, Red Giant also has many other products for FCPX, including:
- Magic Bullet Looks
- Magic Bullet Mojo,
- PluralEyes 3 (our brand new Audio/Video syncing tool)
Pricing and Availability
Red Giant RetroGrade for Final Cut Pro X is available immediately and priced at $49.00. Red Giant Carousel for Final Cut Pro X is also available immediately and is also priced at $49.00.
The Red Pledge
About CrumplePopCrumplePop (www.crumplepop.com) is a leading provider of film and broadcast effects for Final Cut Pro X. Founded in 2009, CrumplePop developed a popular suite of third-party effects for Final Cut Pro 6/7 before moving to Final Cut Pro X in June of 2011. CrumplePop effects have been used by the BBC, USA Today, and smaller studios around the world. You can find us on Facebook (CrumplePop) and Twitter (@crumplepop).
About Red GiantFounded in 2002, Red Giant (www.redgiant.com) creates an ever-expanding universe of effects tools ranging from plug-in suites, applications and mobile apps to Guru Presets, free products and sharing communities. We provide software for motion design, photography and color correction that is used for everything from major motion pictures to worldwide television programming to web production. Red Giant offers the industry-leading Trapcode tools for broadcast design; Magic Bullet Suite for color correction; and over 60 products that run in After Effects, Final Cut Pro, Motion, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture, Avid, Vegas, Nuke, and Avid Studio. Our effects have enhanced dozens of feature films such as Angels & Demons and The Social Network, and added sparkle to networks like NBC Universal, ESPN, Disney, CNN, Comedy Central, MTV, and TNT. Join us on Facebook (RedGiantSoftware), follow us on Twitter (@RedGiantNews) and get free content at Redgiantpeople.com.